Electrical Power Quality Enhancement of Grid Interfaced with Wind Power System Using STATCOM – Control Scheme
Infusion of the wind power into an electric grid influences the power quality. The exhibition of the wind turbine in this way power quality are resolved based on guidelines and the standards followed by the rule indicated in International Electro-technical Commission standard, IEC-61400. The impact of the wind turbine in the grid connected wind energy generation system are the active power, reactive power, voltage variations, harmonic distortion, flicker. The paper study exhibits the power quality issues due to establishment of wind turbine with the grid. In this proposed paper, STATCOM (Static Synchronous Compensator) is connected at point of common coupling (PCC) with a battery energy storage system (BESS) to reduce the power quality issues. The STATCOM control scheme for the grid associated wind energy generation system for power quality improvement is simulated utilizing MATLAB/SIMULINK. The viability of the proposed control scheme reduces reactive power from the load and induction generator. The advancement of the grid coordination rule and the plan for development in power quality standards as per IEC-standard on the grid has been introduced.
INDEX TERMS– Power Quality, Renewable Energy, PCC (Power of Common Coupling), STATCOM (Static Synchronous Compensator), BESS (Battery Energy Storage System).
The paper analyses the elements which influences the power quality in the wind energy generation system. Likewise this paper examines the execution of STATCOM-Control scheme for power quality improvement in grid associated wind energy generation system. The simulation of the proposed control scheme for the grid associated Wind energy generation is simulated utilizing MATLAB/SIMULINK. The control scheme has an ability to dispense with the harmonic parts of the load current and reactive power. Total Harmonic Distortion before the STATCOM connected was observed to be 24.62%, whereas, after STATCOM connection it was observed to be 2.54%. It additionally assists with keeping up the source voltage and current in-stage which makes maintaining power factor at source-end and thus supporting the demanding reactive power injection for the load at PCC and wind generator in the grid interfaced wind energy generation system. It allows an opportunity to upgrade the use factor of transmission lines.
- W Mohod, M.V Aware, ―A STATCOM control scheme for grid connected wind energy system for power quality improvement,‖ IEEE System Journal, Vol.2, issue 3, pp.346-352, Sept.2010
- Yang, Student Member, IEEE, C. Shen, L. Zhang, M. L. Crow, and S.Atcitty, “Integration of a StatCom and Battery Energy Storage “-IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS, VOL. 16, NO. 2, MAY 2001.
- Tatsuto Kinjyo, Tomonobu Senjyu, Katsumi Uezato, Hideki Fujita, and Toshihisa Funabashi, “Output Levelling of Wind Energy Conversion System by Current Source ECS” – IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 2004.
- Kyungi Soo KOOK, Yilu LIU, Stan ATCITTY “Mitigation of the Wind Generation Integration Related Power Quality Issues by Energy Storage.”- Electrical Power Quality and Utilization, journal Vol.XII, no.2, 2006.
- Kinjo. T and Senjyu. T, “Output leveling of renewable energy by electric double layer capacitor applied for energy storage system,” IEEE Trans. Energy Conv., vol. 21, no. 1, Mar. 2006