Power Conditioning in Distribution Systems Using ANN Controlled Shunt Hybrid Active Power Filter
This paper focuses on an Artificial Neural Network (ANN) controller based Shunt Hybrid Active Power Filter (SHAPF) for compensating the harmonics of the distribution system. To enhance the performance of the conventional controller (Hysteresis controller) and to take advantage of intelligent controllers, a back propagation algorithm based feed forward-type ANN technique is implemented in shunt active power filter for producing the controlled pulses required for IGBT inverter. The proposed approach mainly work on the principle of energy stored by capacitor to maintain the DC link voltage of a shunt connected filter and thus reduces the transient response time when there is abrupt variation in the load. The complete power system set model of the proposed filter technique has been developed in MATLAB. The control algorithm developed is very simple. Simulations are carried out for the proposed scheme by using MATLAB, it is noticed that the %THD is reduced to 2.27% from 29.71% by ANN controlled filter. The simulated experimental results also show that the novel control method is not only easy to be computed and implemented, but also very successful in reducing harmonics.
- Shunt Hybrid Active Power Filter
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
- Neural Network Controller
- Back propagation algorithm
- Distribution System.
Fig 1. Configuration of Shunt Active Power Filter
EXPECTED SIMULATION RESULTS:
Fig.2. Wave forms of load current and source current of uncompensated system
Fig.3. FFT analysis of source current
Fig.4. Simulation results of Shunt Hybrid Active Filter with ANN Controller’
Fig.5. FFT analysis of source current with ANN controller
In this paper, a detailed analysis of Shunt Hybrid Active Power Filter with ANN controller has been proposed to mitigate harmonics of the three phase distribution system. The obtained results show the simplicity and the effectiveness of the proposed intelligent controller under nonlinear load conditions. From the results, it can be observed that the current total harmonic distortion reduces better with ANN controlled active filter. The simulation and experimental results also show that the new control method is not only easy to be calculated and implemented, but also very effective in reducing harmonics.
- K.Jain, Agrawal and H.O.Gupta, “Fuzzy logic controlled shunt activepower filter for power quality improvement,” IEE proceedings in Electrical Power Applications, vol.149, no.5, Sept.2002.
- Doğan, R. Akkaya, “A Simple Control Scheme for Single-Phase Shunt Active Power Filter with Fuzzy Logic Based DC Bus Voltage Controller,” International Multi Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2009, Vol.2, March 18 – 20, 2009, Hong Kong.
- JR Vázquez, Patricio Salmeron, F.Javieralcantra,Jaine Prieto “ A New Active Power Line Conditioner for Compensation in Unbalanced/Distorted Electrical Power System”, 14th PSCC, Sevilla, 24-28 June 2002.
- Jarupula Somlal, M Venu Gopala Rao, M Anusha Priya, “Performance Analysis of SVPWM and Fuzzy Controlled Hybrid Active Power Filter”, International Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering Research (IJEEER), 3, Issue 2, Jun 2013, pp.309-318.