This study deals with an implementation of a constant speed permanent magnet synchronous generator (PMSG)-based three-phase stand-alone wind energy conversion system (SWECS). The voltage and frequency controller is realised using only a single voltage source converter (VSC) and a battery energy storage system (BESS). The BESS is used to provide load leveling under varying wind speeds and to control frequency of SWECS. The voltage of PMSG is regulated under varying wind speeds and loads by supplying the reactive power from VSC. The performance of SWECS is demonstrated as a load leveller, a load balancer, a harmonic compensator and a voltage and frequency controller.
Fig. 1 Proposed system configurations of VFC for PMSG-based SWECS
a System configuration of VFC for PMSG-based 3P3W SWECS
b System configuration of VFC for PMSG-based 3P4W SWECS
EXPECTED SIMULATION RESULTS:
Fig. 2 Simulated performance of VFC under fall in wind speed (12 –10 m/s) at fixed balanced linear loads
Fig. 3 Simulated performance of VFC under rise in wind speed (10 –12 m/s) at balanced linear loads
A VFC for a PMSG in stand-alone WECS has been designed, modelled and developed for feeding three-phase consumer loads. The VFC has been realised using a VSC and a battery energy storage system. A new control strategy for VFC has been realised using IcosF algorithm and implemented for PMSG-based SWECS. The performance of VFC has been found satisfactory under varying wind speeds and loads. The VFC has performed the functions of load leveller, load balancer and a harmonic eliminator along with VFC.
- Patel, M.R.: ‘Wind and solar power systems’ (CRC Press, Washington, DC, 2006, 2nd edn.)
- David, S.B., Jenkins, N., Bossanyi, E.: ‘Wind energy handbook’ (John Wiley & Sons. Ltd., 2001)
- Simoes, M.G., Farret, F.A.: ‘Renewable energy systems’ (CRC Press, Florida, 2004)
- Lai, L.L., Chan, T.F.: ‘Distributed generation -induction and permanent magnet generators’ (John Wiley and Sons Ltd., 2007
- Heier, S.: ‘Grid integration of wind energy conversion systems’ (Wiley, New York, 1998)