In this paper, a 9-level symmetrical modified multi-level cascaded H-bridge inverter with reduced switch count is considered. The operation and control of 9-level inverter is discussed. This multilevel inverter uses four symmetrical DC input sources and twelve unidirectional power semiconductor switches. The basic operation with equal width modulation and resistive and Resistive-Inductive loads are verified with the help MATLAB simulation. The simulation outputs are presented and confirm the operation of nine level inverter operations. Together with the traditional topologies and some other inverters, this inverter topology is capable to produce more number of output voltage levels by means of less number of power switches and driver circuits. Simulation results confirm the probability of this inverter topology
- Multi-Level inverter
- Cascaded H-Bridge (CHB)
- Reduced number of switches
- Modified H-bridge (MHB)
In this paper, a modified CHB 9-level symmetrical MLI with 4 DC voltage sources and 12 unidirectional switches was successfully studied with the help of MATLAB simulation. The operation of this topology of inverter is analyzed. The simulation results are at satisfactory level.
The harmonics in the output voltages are comparable with the other topologies in the literature. This topology of inverter required less number of switches could assure enhanced performance, efficiency, consistency and decrease in price and volume of the inverter. The performance of this inverter topology can be improved by employing harmonic elimination techniques.
- Nabae. A, Takahashi. I, and Akagi. H, “A New Neutral-point-clamped PWM inverter,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. IA-17, pp. 518-523, 1981.
- Lai. J.S, and Peng. F.z, “Multilevel Converters: A New Breed of Power Converters,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 32, pp. 509-517, 1996.
- Hammond. P.W, “A New Approach to Enhance Power Quality for Medium Voltage AC Drives,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 33, pp. 202-208, 1997.
- C.Ganavel, M. Rajavelan, P. Muthukumar, T. Baldwin Immanuel, “A performance Investigation of a Single Phase Multilevel Inverter Fed Nonlinear loads for Solar PV Applications,” International Journal of Engineering & Technology, Vol. 7, pp. 388-391, 2018.
- V Kartikeyan, V Jamuna, “Hybrid control strategy for BCD topology based modular multilevel inverter,” Circuits and Systems, Vol.7, pp. 1441-1454, 2016.